Friday, 18 November 2011



NAZCA













   






These were created between 400 and 650 AD which is interesting as there were no helicopters or aeroplanes in pre columbus times. This image communicates an animal through lines.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5q-T8PJu2c
I found this video very interesting because it gave an insight to how these lines were produced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I5q-T8PJu2c

A theory of the purpose of Nazca ines is that the Nazca people created them to be seen by their gods in the sky.

The Nazca lines are relevant to my exploratory stage as I used the same technique for my lino print by taking away some of the surface of the lino to create the below piece of work. Even though I could not us teh same technique as the creators of the Nazca lines there is a connection to my work as the end product is similar. For example I took some branches into the dark room and created a photogram, I then traced the outline of the design and printed onto a piece of plain lino. I then cut into my design much like the Nazca culture did to create my lino print.




SERPENT MOUND

The serpent mound is a 1,348 foot long, three foot high prehistoric effigy mound located along Ohio bush in Ohio. It qualifies as a line although the line is a wavy one. It is very similar to the Nazca lines as the lines are similarly shaped. It also links to my photography as I took some leaves, branches and plants into the darkroom to produce photograms. I like the way the shadows of the branches in this photograph have been used to describe the structure of the form.

No comments:

Post a Comment